Sunday, February 14, 2010

Start of glueshell scenery


Glueshell scenery was developed by my friend Léon Honings. It provides a flexible and very leightweight underground for the scenery.

It consists of a web, usually of cardboard, a covering layer of textile dipped in water and then white glue and then a layer consisting of white glue and plaster of paris. This gives you a thin egglike shell that is very strong.



I used old file folders as I could get them for nothing (I am an archivist). Here are pictures of the web being made. To hold the web together I use a hot glue gun. Next up will be placing pieces of old bedsheets, soaked in water and then in white glue, on the web and letting that dry.




(And yes, I am a big fan of the late Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway, even though this Model Power steam engine is more or less freelanced after the last passenger steam engine of the Louie)




And this is the progress up to now. Both sides of the track have their web made from file folders.
Condsidering the temperature outside I did the work on the dining table. That is not much of a problem since it is a big glass plate in a wood frame and easily cleaned.

1 comment: